It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Minnesota doesn't' seem like the type of team to trade for Wieters.

Cleveland? Maybe. Carlos Santana caught 84 games for them last year. Maybe they want to move him? Again, not sure Cleveland is the type of team to go for Wieters.

Santana is a poor catcher. A good hitter though.

Right. I could see Cleveland getting a catcher and playing Santana at 1B. I'm just not sure I see them wanting Wieters enough to a) want to pay him for the next 2 years AND b) give up something of value for him.

Maybe that Yan Gomes is good enough for them then.

I'm not for giving up the pick but I do not believe Wieters value is at an all time low. It will be lower next offseason. Even if he rebounds to a .750 OPS, with one year left to FA, we won't get as much.

OK then, All time low to date.

Given the state of catching prospects in the O's system I would much rather keep him for the two seasons then consider tendering him a qualifying offer. The idea of signing Salty coming off a 372 BABIP season makes my stomach hurt.

So the idea is, trade Wieters while his value is at an all time low and then give up a first round draft pick to sign a FA catcher?

I will tentatively put myself in the opposed column.

1) I'm not sure that Wieters' value is at an all-time low, though it certainly isn't high.

2) Any catcher the Orioles would sign wouldn't cost a pick.

That said, I agree with the sentiment here. Unless Wieters' salary is preventing the Orioles from making a very specific move, trading him doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps I'll be surprised what another team is willing to give up for Wieters. If DD can work out a trade centering around Wieters and maybe another smaller piece to the Braves for Minor or Medlen, I'd be fully on board.

Whether he's traded or not, it seems nearly certain that he won't be extending here, which, frankly, suits me just fine. Better a year early than a year etc. etc.

Archived